Tuesday, March 31, 2009

we're not strangers anymore

Last week I stopped and talked to a man painting the walls in the Chemistry building, Ed. I asked what he was working on and he told me about the miniature renovations they were doing - fixing up some of the wear and tear around the building. I saw Ed again today, and we talked for nearly half an hour about life, kids, work, family, all sorts of things. It was really great. Ed has two kids, a boy and a girl, has been with his wife for 13 years, married for 7, and (although he didn't say this, I can tell) he is a wonderful dad. His eyes just lit up talking about his kids, and how nervous he is about his oldest starting kindergarten.

I think it's good for every child to hear a parent (not their own) talk about his or her kids, and also for every parent to hear a child (not their own), talk about his or her parents. It puts everything into perspective. It helps you to realize that everyone makes mistakes, but that, in general, everyone wants to be a good parent. Everyone thinks the world of their children, and no matter how much you think you might mess up, most kids turn out alright. Parents should also know that, after adolescence and angst, kids remember the good things our parents taught us. We hold on to fond memories, and hold them up as examples of the kind of parents we hope to be some day.

2 comments:

EngineerRN said...

Very good observation! I'm still amazed that no matter my age, I'm still a kid to my mom. And no matter how old they are, my children are still my kids. However, I do recognize that my kids are adults and I try to make sure I treat them as adults (although they are adults that I am very proud of and will always have a special place in my heart).

mathbionerd said...

I know! It was really almost a revelation yesterday. In some ways, it is really nice to always be a kid, at least to someone, and to know that I'll always people to turn to when I need advice and love!