Thursday, June 24, 2010

busy, busy, busy

Yesterday, I went out the the garden and was surprised with an overload of sugar snap peas. I ate a handful while picking them, and had these leftover to bring home:



I'm working from home today, waiting on my new phone!! Yes, I ordered the iPhone4, and am patiently (?) awaiting its arrival. It was scanned in at State College at "out for delivery" by 8:45, but it is after 1, and no iPhone. Patience.

In the meantime I:
1. finished the mathematical derivations for the pseudogene project. This is to be able to compute the confidence intervals. In the 1981 paper by Li, Gojobori and Nei, they have a very slick sentence,

"Expressing equations (6) and (7) in terms of li, mi and ni, we have obtained approximate formulae for the standard errors of Tn and b (not shown).".

Not shown. Sigh... so I think I've finally worked through it all. I need to look through it again, but I think I have it:

Tn = (y12 - y3)/(a3 - a12) (6) becomes:
Tn = 2T * ((l1 + l2 - 2l3) - (m1 + m2 - 2m3))/((2m3 - m1 - m2) + (2n3 - n1 - n2))

AND

b = (a3 y12 - a12 y3)/( y12 - y3) (7) becomes:
b = ((m3 +n3)(l1 - m1 + 2Tl2 - 2Tm2) - (m1 + n1 + m2 +n2)(l3 - m3))/(2T(l1 - m1 + l2 - m2 - 2l3 + 2m3))

If you see how to simplify them more, please let me know. Note that m1 is: m subscript 1.

2. made an awesome toasty salami-pepperoni-hot banana pepper sandwich with spicy mustard and a half a head of lettuce on it:



3. baked a horde of zucchini/carrot bread using a variation of this recipe.

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
3 cups zucchini and/or carrots, grated or finely diced
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon vanilla

Frosting:
2 packages lowfat cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar (more to taste)

Directions
1. Mix together all ingredients - wet first, then add dry.
2. Pour into loaf pans, or muffin cups
3. Bake at 350: about 40 min for smaller loaf pans, 15-20 min for muffins - just keep an eye on them and pull out when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Frosting:
Cream room-temperature cheese and sugar together. Spread on cooled muffins.



I made a cake for our friends who will be watching the dogs this weekend, and then am planning to either freeze, give to neighbors or take into work the rest. I'm not sure how the frosting will freeze, but I'm going to try it with one sample. I think it should be fine.



As soon as my phone gets here, I'll plug it in, and then run out for some more errands.
Before I head to Portland I need to:

1. get my glasses adjusted - they're off just enough to strain my eyes, and hurt my left ear.

2. drop off the excess of veggies we have at the State College Area Food Bank. I hate to see the extra snap peas, lettuce and onions go to waste, so I'm going to donate them.

3. Make a stop at the Goodwill. My nesting started up a few weeks ago and I have a trunk full of boxes that need to be donated - books, clothes, old games. For some reason I really need to minimize the amount of "stuff" we have lying around the house. Not only will it be less for the baby to get into (and the dogs), but it just makes everything seem calmer, cleaner and more organized (i.e. it helps my state of mind).

No comments: