Saturday, September 4, 2010

week 15 of plowshare produce

Finally getting caught up about our veggies from plowshare produce.

This Week’s Veggies: tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, watermelon, zucchini or eggplant, onions, green or red and hot peppers, garlic, kale, collards or chard, parsley, lettuce, kabocha squash, carrots



We made salsa with most of the tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers (hot and mild), adding just a little lime juice. We grilled the eggplant with just a little salt and pepper, and steamed the green beans.

The watermelons were both perfectly ripe, sweet and juicy.



I haven't yet cooked the squash, but am really looking forward to it. I'm not sure yet about roasting it, or making a soup. We'll see....

And tonight I had a bunch of leftover stuff in the cabinets and came up with a new dessert (mainly because I was out of butter and my can of evaporated milk was solid when I opened the can).  This is a homemade graham cracker crust with a filling of chocolate, coconut, chopped oats and a little milk to make it chewy. They were a good afternoon treat for Scott and our friends Brian and Amanda, after they went out mountain biking. I think they're tasty with a cup of hot tea.

No comments: