Monday, January 17, 2011

trying to get ready for work

I've done a little work from home already - and plan to try and get a little bit of writing done over the next two weeks before I "officially" go back to work.

I'm also trying to get everything ready at home for Claire. I've started pumping so we have enough breastmilk for her while I'm at work, and we've attempted to feed her using a variety of bottles. So far we haven't had a lot of success with the bottles. We have several types, all with the lowest flow nipples, but Claire is such an efficient sucker that she inhales the milk, literally. She chokes on the milk, it dribbles out of her mouth, and she eats so quickly that she doesn't realize she's full. Today, even after having been burped every 0.5-1 ounce, she was very burpy, hiccupy, fussy and cranky. An hour after the bottle, she started showing hunger signs again (smacking her lips, rooting, etc) and after putting her off as long as I could with all my entertainment skills, I gave in and nursed her. She spit up half of it, and was fussy for another two hours on and off. Finally, now, she's fallen into a restless sleep.

Poor baby.

I guess it is a learning process for all of us.

No comments: